Jalen Hood-Schifino Discussion: Not The Cam Whitmore Thread ;-)

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by JSM, Jun 22, 2023.

1. pika1708

pika1708 - Lakers Starter -

I like that take

LTLakerFan likes this.
  2. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

should've just kept pippen jr instead of drafting this guy

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

23 year old, 4 year college player scottie pippen jr in the g league:

upload_2024-4-13_7-0-9.png

20 year old, 1 year college player jhs in the g league:

upload_2024-4-13_7-1-23.png

maybe if jhs played with a bunch of accountants for a few games and was told to just go ball, he puts up some nice number in some nba games, too?

LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  4. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

disagree with a lot of those choices. don't care about jhs--his rookie year sucked and was a lost year for several reasons.

but lively was one of the best rookies in the league and was a starter and key contributor on a playoff team for good chunks of the year (he was so good his team went out and traded for a vet version so they'd have two).

jacquez is really overrated, imo. i think he's the latest in a long line of guys benefitting from both spoelstra and from miami's rep.

TIME likes this.
  6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

was just thinking today--for those mad about this situation:

upload_2024-5-3_11-27-52.png

yipes.

sirronstuff and Pioneer10 like this.
  8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Rob shouldn’t have overruling power when it comes to our scouts IMO

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not sure why it's a big deal that a young guy would take shots in garbage time minutes.

this feels like folks reaching for reasons to be mad.

how did rob overrule the scouts, exactly? the guy they wanted (who also sucked last year, btw) was drafted earlier. put it out there, sources: which scout said to draft jaimie christ and was overruled? i doubt this happened. rather, they had targets who were drafted earlier, they tried to trade the pick, and they took a guy who fell but they felt was a high-character guy with positional size.

the league is full of brilliant general managers who didn't hit on mid-first round picks.

Juronimo and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. Weezy

It’s a big deal if Rob overruled the scouts if we wanted Juaquez or Whitmore, to me at least. Let the scouts do their job, it’s what they are literally there for, instead we wasted a pick on a guy who may or may not be mediocre someday, who does not one thing exceptional, instead he does all things poorly to mediocre so far. Hopefully he’s traded this offseason, or we get a some coaches that can develop young talent better, we certainly handled Christie poorly in a contract year, and now have to pay him based on very little solid info on how good he is. Jaime Christ is also a bit much don’t you think? He was a contributor this year, he was solid in the playoffs, that’s what you want when you have a LeBron team trying to win now, a contribute now player. That’s what you take at 17, the best player available, instead we gambled because it seems Rob likes to think he’s the smartest guy in the room all the time.

Hell I’m surprised he didn’t just draft someone from Michigan at 17 since it was clearly a “f*** it” pick for us. It was just a bad pick, I wasn’t over it then and I’m not over it now, and now it’s the offseason so I’ve got nothing but time to complain lol. Draft players that are ready made when trying to win now, that’s what we did with Reaves and it worked. It hasn’t worked so much with projects for us though, we are bad at developing young talent, we find some gems like Clarksok and Reaves, but we waste time on just as many THTs.

abeer3 and KareemtheGreat33 like this.
  11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I don't blame JHS he convinced the scouts and Rob he has the mamba mentality and a good diet just like Ham jedi mind tricked them into hiring him...good interviews get you in with people who don't know what they're doing.

So him chucking in garbage time is on brand for the Mamba mentality interview

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

but that's not what that snippet says, right? the only definitive target listed was bufkin. where did the overrule come in?

he looked pretty good once we finally put him in the g-league, tbh. this is where 19 year old rookies need to go if you're a team trying to win. not playing out of position in garbage time.

if we're bad at development--which seems true at this point--then we shouldn't be drafting at all, tbh. or we should always pick old/experienced guys. the scouts wanted bufkin.

i don't think jacquez would have played over rui, prince, or reaves. he also wouldn't be coached by spoelstra here.

and i'll never stop posting this:

upload_2024-5-12_9-45-46.png

his box scores looked solid; the numbers say his team was a little (to substantially) worse when he played.

he may end up being paul pierce lite or whatever, but he wasn't as good as everyone suggests, hence my joke name.

once again, not seeing the evidence here.

bufkin and howard were already taken.

i don't think you can judge the pick until after next year at the earliest, tbh. but i do agree that our track record with young guys is now pretty bad. we should trade down or out and work with experienced college guys. we've gotten more bang for the buck there almost every time.

13. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

The overule came when the Buss boys wanted to go with Whitmore, Rob felt like he had injury issues and went with JHS
    Burkin was already off the board. That part is true, but he couldn't overrule a pick on a player, that had already been picked.

Hence a lot of "We could have had Whitmore " gripes.

abeer3 likes this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i hadn't read that part. ok. hey, if whitmore ends up having no injury problems, that's on rob and is a missed opportunity. that said--again--whitmore was slated to go top 5, so, like, 14 other general managers made a similar decision. do we fire all of them?

15. Weezy

JHS has already had back surgery… I think the Whitmore injury concerns seem to be a wash at this point. I think it was a bad pick, watching his game I think the kid will be out of the league in a handful of years. Or I guess riding the bench in Detroit or Orlando or something.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

the back injury is bad, particularly when you cite injury concerns for not drafting whitmore.

i just don't think you can shut the door on 19 year old rookies. too many examples of guys who improved a lot.

17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Not saying Slick didn’t read that the scouts got overruled on Cam specifically as stated above, because of Rob’s injury concerns (still, “what” injury concern was it …. even for all these FOs to pass??) …. but would like to read too if there’s a link, to what was read?

abeer3 likes this.
  18. Weezy

I just can’t get over the pick when better players were right there, I can’t. Whitmore is already better at basketball than JHS will likely ever be, just my take. Rob makes a lot of mistakes IMO, he’s an adequate GM, but the Lakers should have an exceptional GM, so I don’t think until I see him truly build a team without a major hole every single season I’ll feel any different. He kind of lucked into the 2020 team after getting who he could when Kawhi played us, and then immediately went away from that model a season later and we’ve been trying to recover ever since. Point being, again. I don’t think he should be making our draft picks, hell I’m not even sure he should be making our coaching hires.

Kenzo likes this.
  19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i just don't get worked up about mid first round picks. honestly, lonzo over tatum (and fox, for that matter) was a much more egregious sin in terms of what it costs the franchise. taurean prince was a better basketball player than jaimie jacquez last year. you can get guys like that in free agency at mle and below every year.

now, when cuban overrode donnie nelson and mavs scouts and traded down instead of taking giannis...THAT'S something to be mad about. if this goes as it has, i just chalk it up to you can't be 100% in the draft. nobody is. not even close. again, our scouts wanted bufkin here. we were going to miss there, too.

VladeD714 and sirronstuff like this.
  20. Slick2021

Slick2021 - Lakers All Star -

LTLakerFan likes this.